This page has moved to a new address.

Sunday Night Supper: spaghetti and meatballs

Pickles & Chapstick: Sunday Night Supper: spaghetti and meatballs

Sunday, February 10, 2013

Sunday Night Supper: spaghetti and meatballs


Tonight's supper was planned out last minute. I would've preferred to make a chicken dish but we had some beef in the fridge and I was lazy (more like exhausted). I decided to make spaghetti and meatballs. I was able to make meatballs and meat sauce with a pound of beef. 

Above are the ingredients I needed for my meatballs. An egg, Italian seasoning, parm cheese, red chili flakes and black pepper. 

Preheat oven to 400. 


Crack egg into medium mixing bowl. I eyeball all the ingredigents. Add italian seasoning, red chili flakes (since I have a toddler I can't make it super spicy so I only did a few), black pepper and parm cheese. Once all the ingredients have been added use a spoon to mix it together. 


Once the ingredients are mixed together add half of the meat of your choice. I suggest using no less than half of the meat to make the meatballs. Using your hands combine the meat with the egg mixture. 



Once your done combing the egg mixture with the meat. Roll the meat into little balls using your hands. 

Get a cookie tray (or whatever you prefer to bake the meatballs). I like covering a cookie tray with aluminum foil so there's less mess and an easier clean up. 

Place meatballs onto tray and put tray in oven. 

Cook for 20-25 minutes or until there's no pink. I suggest keeping an eye on it while you're making the sauce. My oven is ancient and sometimes things cook faster than said time and sometimes it cooks slower. 

It was really hard taking picture of raw meat. Raw meat tends to gross me out hardcore. 
To make the meat sauce I first like coating the bottom of the pot with olive oil, a few red chili flakes, Italian seasoning, black pepper and lots of garlic. Then I add the meat.


While the meat starts cooking. I like to start cutting up my veggies. We only had mushrooms and green pepper so I used those. I prefer using an onion but for some reason we didn't have one (ugh!). I'll start cutting up the tomatoes once the mushrooms and green peppers have been added. 


Once the meat is done cooking add the veggies. I also like adding more spices at this point. Especially garlic. 
 
While those veggies are cooking is when I'll start cutting up the tomatoes. I like having chunks of tomatos in my sauce. I could buy the canned kind but fresh is healthier and less sodium. 


Once you're done slicing up the tomatoes add them into the mix 


Once the tomatoes have been added. Pour in the pasta sauce.  


Fill up pot with water and add in whatever pasta you prefer. 


Check on meatballs and once they're done cooking add them into your pasta sauce mix and let them simmer in there. 


Sometimes depending on how the sauce is tasting I'll add a few more spices. Tonight's case I needed to do just that.

When pasta is done cooking. Strain.


`Add sauce onto pasta with a meatball and voila! Easy!

Above is a Charlie's sized dinner portion. He normally will eat half of a meatball. Tonight's case he ate more than the adults!

Labels: , , , ,

6 Comments:

At February 11, 2013 at 9:49 AM , Blogger Sara said...

Looks so good! You just showed me how to make meatballs, I NEVER make meatballs! I will have to remember that :)

 
At February 11, 2013 at 10:06 AM , Blogger emi said...

yum! i never make meatballs, now i need to!

 
At February 11, 2013 at 10:09 AM , Blogger henning love said...

spaghetti and meatballs are a great way to start the week off for sure!! this recipe looks great

 
At February 13, 2013 at 8:44 AM , Blogger Sara said...

Re your comment: Aw! Your cat sounds awesome! I WISH my cats were more like dogs! It sounds like he went to a great home though.

 
At February 13, 2013 at 9:09 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

When you make them lemme know how they turned out! Xo

 
At February 13, 2013 at 9:09 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

You won't be disappointed :) xo

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home