This page has moved to a new address.

life lately

Pickles & Chapstick: life lately

Tuesday, May 28, 2013

life lately


The only thing constant in life is change. That has been the major theme in my life lately. There's a lot of changes that have happened and there are a lot more changes that are going to happen. Like most changes in life some are good, some break your heart and some there's nothing you can do about it. I've been focusing on the "silver lining" of all of these changes and situations. It's what's been getting me through some of the tough stuff. The weather in LA has been pretty warm and it's given me that itch to explore the city as much as I can with my favorite little man. I've been trying to suck up the time I do have with him. Which is one of the main reasons I haven't been blogging. Misc. projects, cooking up some yummy recipes, packing and "unplugging" has also been keeping me busy these days, Along with a new camera that my boyfriend bought me for Mother's Day. 



I've been taking Charlie to various museums all over Southern California lately. I label our museum days "educational field trips". My best friend and I used to take them all the time when we lived together. I think it's important to immerse your child in culture and take them to all sorts of places. Even if he's too young to remember museums or places I've taken him, I still find it important to do these sorts of things with him. It's fun getting to experience these types of adventures over again with your little one. Sometimes it's just the two of us and sometimes our favorite people accompany us. 

Lacma offers free children memberships up until the child is 18. When they visit the museum they're allowed to bring one adult with them for free. Score! It was fun getting to visit the children's museum there where children get "hands on" and get to create their own artwork. It was fun watching Charlie pick up a paint brush and slather the paint on the paper. He was very proud of himself. After every stroke he'd look over at me with his cheesy grin that I just can't get enough of. 

Also, if you live in the LA area and have children I recommend the Ziggler Children's museum. It's a hands on kid museum complete with story time and music hours. They have a life sized small airplane and ambulance that the kids get to play in. They also have fake homes, stores and even a small cushion area for the infant crowd. It's a child's dream and a germophobic mother's worse nightmare. Charlie had a blast just pushing around the child size shopping carts and gathering fake groceries and putting them back. 










I love this cheesy grin 


On a very very sad note, our beloved Penelope ran off last week. I was warned by the vet that since she's a stray she may have a tendency to run off. At first she had no desire to but as time went on she kept trying to escape every chance she got. Then last week it happened - she darted out the door and by the time I could scoop Charlie into my arms and run after she was out of sight. I can't tell you how many laps around the neighborhood and neighboring neighborhoods we searched through. I like to think that Penelope likes to enter people's lives and bring them joy and love and when she thinks her work there is done she finds a new home to bring love and joy to. That's me trying to have a "silver lining" outlook on it.    


Labels:

5 Comments:

At May 28, 2013 at 11:31 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

Oh I am so sorry about your doggy! I've totally been there looking for a dog that runs off. You are so right about taking kids places and doing new things even if they won't remember it, it is making them a more open minded person. Hoping all the changes you are going through give you a break soon mama! Xxoo

 
At May 29, 2013 at 12:04 PM , Blogger Midnight And Dawn said...

oh no! sorry to hear about Penelope :(
It looks like you & Charlie have been having some amazing outings! I love taking Seth to new places, too. I'm excited the warm weather is here so we can do some outdoor exploring! He definitely gets cabin fever. I'll have to look into museums in my area to see if they do any deals on children's memberships!

 
At June 1, 2013 at 8:04 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

xoxo!

 
At June 1, 2013 at 8:07 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

It's pretty amazing how much kids enjoy things you sometimes expect them not to or vice versa. Look into different parks in your city. I had a blast searching for those! xo

 
At June 3, 2013 at 10:27 AM , Blogger emi said...

you look so cute in these pics! love those lights in front of the LA museum...sorry about your pup! xo
the well-traveled wife

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home