This page has moved to a new address.

learning to love yourself

Pickles & Chapstick: learning to love yourself

Monday, June 24, 2013

learning to love yourself

source

The other morning I had a conversation with one of my friends and she mentioned how she loved herself and explained why. While some people would take that as being conceited, I admired her in that moment. We live in a world where we love to watch the demise of public figures, we're encouraged to point out our flaws, we pick other people apart, etc. When I sit down and really think about it, it makes me sick because we're all guilty of it. Instead of celebrating our differences, we find ways to tear them apart. I think sometimes guys have it a little bit easier than girls. Girls are terrible and the thing is, it never stops. It starts when we're young and continues into adulthood and yet we're somehow surprised when the cycle starts again with your daughter, niece, cousin, etc. You should like yourself. No scratch that, you should love yourself.

In the past I'd let others influence and determine my self worth. I had a lousy self esteem. Regardless of what I was going through or how I felt about myself there were things that never changed. Looking back those qualities about myself or even the small things were the things that I should've really focused on. Instead I'd focus on how someone felt about me or the mistakes I've made along the way. When the reality of all of this is, nobody is perfect. "don't judge someone because they sin differently than you" pretty much sums it up. Oh well, you live and you learn.

A lot of my life changed the moment I had Charlie. I had someone who needed me to love and care for them. Even though circumstances were less than ideal and I feel that I've struggled more than I've succeeded in all of this, I finally found that place where I belonged. My life made sense in a unconventional way. He brought me back to reality to appreciate what life is really about. He didn't care how much money you made, or how much debt you were in or what you were wearing or what your mistakes might've been in the past. He doesn't judge. He loves you for being you and that's beautiful.

In the mornings are usually my happy time. I normally lay in bed and reflect for a few and think about what I'm thankful and happy for. For the first few moments I feel like I'm the luckiest girl in the world. I may not be rich or have the best of everything but I have a lot and more importantly I have some of the most amazing people in my life who make my life rich. I could be worse off. Then it all goes to hell when I realize I have to wake up and brush my teeth. Don't worry these teeth are brushed regularly but it doesn't mean I enjoy doing it. Some may roll their eyes at my little morning thought session but it's what makes me and it's something I've grown to love about myself (along with the fact that I hate brushing my teeth).

I think the more we learn to love ourselves, the more we can learn to love others. We should be building each other up, not tearing one another down. This all may sound like hippy talk but I like the idea of Charlie and any future children that I may or may not have grow up in a better world than the one we are currently in. Think about the lovely things you like/love about yourself. Makes you feel a little bit better, doesn't it? :)



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home